Health insurance may be what we offer, but promoting personal wellness is who we are.
As a mission-driven organization, we’re committed to a healthier life for every person, family and community we serve.
But our mission doesn’t stop with better health — we want to provide peace of mind through better health because that’s what everyone really needs to live a healthy, happy life.
Serving more people, families and communities
We serve more people than any other health insurance provider in Tennessee — more than half the state’s population.
Thousands of our employees work together across the state to make an impact on health, right here in Tennessee.
- Our 6,800 employees
- Serve 3.4 million members
- And thousands of Tennessee employers trust us to provide the right health plans for their employees
Care that’s personal and personalized
BlueCross members get extra support when they need it, free of charge.
Health care can be complicated. We can help make it easier.
Caring for you
- We have nearly 900 nurses on staff working directly with members and advocating for their health care needs.
- Care managers focus on disease prevention and support services, specializing in everything from diabetes to heart disease
- To become a care manager, nurses must have 5 years of clinical experience
His first call
When Charles Henderson, a member from Nashville, signed the lease on his apartment, the first person he called wasn’t a family member — it was his BlueCross care coordinator, Kelly Hutchison.
“I never had a person in my corner like that before,” Charles says. “I wanted to share my good news with Kelly,”
Last spring, Charles was in bad shape — he had been homeless for more than a year. Read Charles’ story here or watch the video below.
A number of ways we’re right here for good
We’ve served 10 million families and individuals since our founding — more than any other health insurer in Tennessee.
Our customer service representatives
- Help 50+ members each day with their benefits
- Make more than 250 calls each week to stay in touch with members who need support, advice or just someone to listen
In her role as a consumer expert, Nikki White talks to members who have questions or concerns about their dental plans, benefits and claims.
“When you’re explaining benefits or going over a claim, that personal interaction is so much easier to understand than just getting a piece of paper in the mail.”
As an insurer, our #1 priority is your health and providing you with financial peace of mind.
We work hard to make sure our claims process runs smoothly, quickly, and with as little work for you as possible.
Customer care representative Brittany Fields knows the members she helps well — and they know her.
“One of our retired members once called me and asked if I’d review a claim he’d mailed,” Brittany remembers. “I said of course and asked, ‘Who did you address the mail to?’”
His reply? “Just Brittany.”
Brittany spent three days tracking down the claims documentation, and in the end, she was able to save that member $13,000. Read her story to find out how.
Supporting our members through the COVID-19 pandemic
The COVID-19 pandemic is unlike anything our members have faced in recent memory – and as part of our mission of peace of mind through better health, we want to make sure they receive the care they need.
Here are a few ways we’re enhancing our member support during this time:
- Waiving all member cost-sharing for COVID-19 treatments, including hospitalizations, from in-network providers until the end of the COVID-19 national emergency
- Waiving member costs for any appropriate FDA-aligned test
- Allowing early prescription refills and 90-day prescriptions to avoid increased risk of exposure
- Sharing key public health information, such as promoting social distancing and warning of potential scam activity
- Expanded telehealth care options, meaning our members can have a video or phone visit with their in-network providers who offer it, keeping them safer at home
For more, visit BCBSTupdates.com